Need 'advanced' help - am willing to pay...
Mark
2012-03-30 15:17:28 UTC
Hi. First, a 'thank you' to the collective of Ecco users & developers for documenting and improving Ecco. Especially Slang & YSWT for advancing Ecco capability. Overall an incredibly dense and potentially helpful database of info has been created. I say 'potential' because it is awesome, but only if one has all the time in the world to digest, which I don't.

A PLEA FOR HELP: I've hit a wall and can no longer do this alone. I've been searching for a collaborative multi-platform 'info gathering' solution for 13 months, saying to a co-worker then "we need to find a modern version of old pgm called Ecco".

EMPTY HANDED: Have now looked at all cloud services and cross-platform apps. Thanks to VirtualBox-type technology, the search has led full circle to Ecco. Almost.

BUGS & AN UN-EASY FEELING: Running multiple sync'd Ecco's in a LAN test environment, w/ or w/o EE I get occasional "need to restart" messages requiring a force quit. This is disconcerting. I am in awe of Slang's programming chops and love the new features. But unfortunately with EE invoked I have found and continue to find abnormalities. I worry about this happening to a less-experienced Ecco user and having them freak out. And I keep reading about others with data corruption. I've had to deal with this too. Apparently a way of life with Ecco, esp if you are not monitoring internal memory via Slang Ext &/or EM-ADT and you use "date stamp" &/or "lock" ;).

PAY FOR HELP: I need to move forward faster than Yahoo board Q&A is allowing. Can you help? I'm happy to pay if you can answer the following: Have I set up 'sync' correctly? How do I safeguard against memory problems & what to do if a call comes in at 2am? What to do/how to address the situation where user 'A' loses data while sync'd (ie, user 'B' also loses data)? Can you give me your thoughts on the practicality of teaching & then supporting a remotely located new-to-Windows & new-to-Ecco user (esp w/ EE bugs I don't understand)? Have you used and can you explain & walk me through the various EccoMagic Tools? Do you have experience and can you help decide "does a Virtual-Boxed Windows-on-Mac user located elsewhere have a 'snowballs chance in hell' being productive on Ecco in Windows? Can you argue for or against deploying Ecco? Is it too complex &/or too quirky & unstable in sync mode running EE for the average Mac or Windows user and for a start-up w/o dedicated IT? Have you tested or do you use the following 'syncable' Ecco-ish titles?
-> ActionOutline
-> askSam
-> InfoRecall
-> InfoTree
-> Treepad
-> SurfSaver
-> UltraRecall
-> Zoot
-> InfoCube

Do you know other titles I should consider?

Also, I have questions about setting up a VPN, although I have general IT buddies who can help me there.

CONCLUSION: Thanks for the input so far. Anyone who can help further has my gratitude. If you have a telephone, may I pay you for your real-time knowledge and expertise?

Please contact me via email.
mdh at earmark dot net

Thanks in advance, Mark