Interested in developing a successor to ECCO
Randy Erickson
2012-06-10 00:14:54 UTC
Hello,
I'm new to this group but an old hand at ECCO. I've been using it since it's inception. And I believe the outlining function in ECCO has not been replicated in any other product on Windows or Mac. I'm interested in exploring whether an app can be developed to build on the ease-of-use and intuitive aspects of the ECCO outliner. And that app should be available on Mac, Window, IOS and Android. If anyone is interested in pursuing this then please contact me.

Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson

torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org
mpastrone
Randy Erickson
Randy Erickson
2012-06-12 01:30:14 UTC
I'm talking only the Notepad functionality. So I'm thinking that it may not cost $100k. I have over 25 years of experience in software development but fully expect to outsource the entire development. Do you have any contacts, references or other information that might be helpful?

Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson
505.730.8195

Randy Erickson
hogsmile-/

Randy Erickson
Randy Erickson
2012-06-14 00:43:05 UTC
There is nothing proprietary about the fundamentals of outlining. There are hundreds of apps that expand and collapse outlines, indent, outdent, add children or siblings, etc. Nor in the ability to cross-reference but perhaps in the way that cross-referencing is done.

Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson
505.730.8195

Randy Erickson
Carl Greene
2012-06-11 02:33:57 UTC
Are you talking about only the outlining function, as a standalone?
Post by Randy Erickson
Hello,
I'm new to this group but an old hand at ECCO.
I've been using it since it's inception. And I
believe the outlining function in ECCO has not
been replicated in any other product on Windows
or Mac. I'm interested in exploring whether an
app can be developed to build on the ease-of-use
and intuitive aspects of the ECCO outliner. And
that app should be available on Mac, Window, IOS
and Android. If anyone is interested in pursuing this then please contact me.
Best Regards,
Randy
Randy Erickson
---

Carl Greene
NØNBS, ex-WBØIUS, ex-WA5QYJ, ex-WN5QYJ
seeking exotic solutions to mundane problems
Randy Erickson
2012-06-12 01:32:28 UTC
What I have in mind is an app that runs on Mac, IOS and Windows, and possibly Android also, that emulates the Ecco notepad functionality. Simple and clean. It must import and export OPML, and it must also have the "killer sync functionality", because my main goal is to have outline(s) that sync between Windows, Mac, IOS and perhaps Android.

Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson
505.730.8195

a***@public.gmane.org
2012-06-12 02:52:14 UTC
Just FYI, and FWIW, I talked to NetManage about 7 years ago(?) about their
interest in selling the code, as I was interested in similar projects and
had an interested software architect, and their estimate of the price at
that time was $100,000.

Wish you success, I'd probably contribute $1,000 toward a real effort.

Alan Dumoff
301-987-0970

_torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org_ (mailto:torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org)

At 07:14 PM 6/9/2012, you wrote:

Hello,
I'm new to this group but an old hand at ECCO. I've been using it since
it's inception. And I believe the outlining function in ECCO has not been
replicated in any other product on Windows or Mac. I'm interested in
exploring whether an app can be developed to build on the ease-of-use and intuitive
aspects of the ECCO outliner. And that app should be available on Mac,
Window, IOS and Android. If anyone is interested in pursuing this then please
contact me.

Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson

_torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org_ (mailto:torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org)

<X>
---

Randy Erickson

Russell Friedson
2012-06-12 04:12:11 UTC
I think a web based app of this type would be great. I haven&#39;t seen one yet as easy to use and powerful in sorting, cross referencing. I wonder if the Kickstarter site could raise $$ for this?
Randy Erickson
2012-06-14 01:28:49 UTC
I'll check out Kickstarter. thanks for the note.
Best Regards,
Randy

Randy Erickson
505.730.8195
torandyerickson-***@public.gmane.org

I think a web based app of this type would be great. I haven't seen one yet as easy to use and powerful in sorting, cross referencing. I wonder if the Kickstarter site could raise $$ for this?

Douglas Hinds
2012-06-18 03:29:44 UTC
I'm new to this group but an old hand at ECCO. ... I'm interested in exploring whether an app can be developed to build on the ease-of-use and intuitive aspects of the ECCO outliner. And that app should be available on Mac, Window, IOS and Android. ...
I run Ecco on Linux Mint and Open Suse on my desktop work station.
Don't forget about Linux.

Douglas Hinds
Ray Whiting
2012-06-18 10:29:01 UTC
This is good to know. I'm assuming you have to run it with WINE or some
other Windows emulator?
Ray Whiting
**
Douglas Hinds
Douglas Hinds
2012-06-18 18:43:41 UTC
Post by Ray Whiting
This is good to know. I'm assuming you have to run it with WINE or
some other Windows emulator?
Correct. On Mint Maya (the current version) and openSUSE you install
Wine using the Package Mananger or apt-get install first, which allows
you to choose Wine for installing Ecco's .setup.exe file to disk.

However: In Mint Debian Edition (Mint Maya is built on Ubuntu), I had
to use Crossover. The Mint Debian Forum is full of comments asking for
better Wine support. (Mint Debian is a much newer version of Mint,
which is a faster, rolling edition but a less finished product).

Aside from the OLE, everything works.

Douglas Hinds

Duncan McIntyre
2012-06-18 10:54:54 UTC
Ecco runs on top of a very simple key/value database (something like BDB I
think). I should think that it would be possible to write an outliner in
HTML5 using the web database:

http://playground.html5rocks.com/#async_transactions

Duncan McIntyre